In every community, boys and girls are left to find their own recreation and companionship when they are not in school. An increasing number of children are at home with no adult supervision. Young people need to know that someone cares about them.
The B&G Clubs of Rutherford County offer that and more. Club programs promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of competence, usefulness, belonging and influence. Our Clubs are safe places to learn and grow-all while having fun. It is truly The Positive Place For Kids.
To inspire and enable all young people, especially those from disadvantaged circumstances, to realize their full potential as responsible, productive and caring citizens.
A B&G Club Provides
A safe place to learn and grow...
Ongoing relationships with caring adult professionals...
Life-enhancing programs and character development experiences...
Hope and opportunity
Just the Facts
- 3.3 million boys and girls served
- 2,851 club locations
- locations in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands plus domestic and international military bases
- 11,300 trained full-time youth development professionals
- 22,500 trained part-time youth development professionals
An Ounce of Prevention
It takes money to run our B&G Clubs-on average about $200 per youth per year. But consider the alternative: keeping a young adult in jail costs taxpayers anywhere from $25,000 to $75,000 per year. B&G Clubs are a proven delinquency prevention program, as well as one of the best bargains in America.
In its 1999 "Philanthropy 400" report, The Chronicle of Philanthropy ranked the B&G Club Movement No. 1 among youth organizations for the sixth consecutive year, and No. 8 among all non-profit organizations.
Below is a historical look at past events going back to May of 1983:
- May 1983 Boys Club of Nashville commits to opening a Murfreesboro Club
- July 1984 First interest meeting in Murfreesboro
- January 1985 First Board of Directors installed
- November 1985 449 S. Kings Hwy building donated
- February 1986 First budget approved $30,182
- May 1986 First Executive Director hired
- September 1986 Boys Club of Rutherford County opens
- October 1986 First Nissan grant $5,000
- November 1986 First Steak & Burger raises $10,000
- January 1987 Boys Club becomes a United Way agency $20,000
- August 1987 Club chartered by Boys & Girls Clubs of America
- January 1990 B&G Club begins at McFadden Community Center
- December 1993 Christy Houston Foundation awards $2.1 M grant for Clubhouse
- January 1994 Peachtree Street 5.6 acre site request tabled by Murfreesboro BZA
- October 1994 Jones Blvd 8.8 acre site purchased from Emerson Electric
- August 1995 Groundbreaking at 820 Jones Blvd
- April 1996 Ninth annual Steak & Burger raises $70,000
- October 1996 Smyrna Branch opens at 205 Front Street
- December 1996 B&G Club begins at 820 Jones Blvd
- February 1997 Dedication ceremony at 820 Jones Blvd
- December 1997 Murfreesboro Noon Rotary donates $12,363 for 1998 Ford van
- February 1998 Smyrna Branch purchases a 1998 Ford van
- March 1998 Christy Houston Foundation awards second grant $105,900 for pavilion
- May 1998 Eleventh annual Steak & Burger features Peyton Manning
- March 2000 Christy Houston Foundation awards $205,314 for baseball field and computers
- October 2000 Smyrna/County commit five acres at corner of Todd & Culbertson for future home
- June 2001 Smyrna branch adds satellite service at Bowling Center
- November 2001 Publish "Giving Is…" book written by Club members
- December 2001 Murfreesboro Club selected as Project Learn Site
- September 2002 Club adds 3 buses to fleet of vehicles.
- October 2002 Fabulous Finds Consignment Store opens.
- November 2002 Receive the "High 5 For High Yield" Award at the National Education Summit for the Newshounds program.
- December 2002 Over 2000 children served in 2002.
- February 2003 Steak & Burger Dinner raises $137,000. Mike Ditka keynote speaker.
- Barbara Sutton President
- Darrell Scarlett President-Elect
- Jimmy Jobe Treasurer
- Mike Pirtle Secretary
- Ivie Burns VP Support
- Stephen Steele VP Operations
- Charlie Weaver VP Personnel
- Gary Bowman VP Resource
- Steve Harrison VP Resource
- Leigh Huddleston Past President
- Mary Esther Bell
- Shannon Bouldin
- Beth Furbush
- Phillip George
- Donald Gintzig
- Ramsey Hassan
- Neil Heatherly
- Danny Jones
- John Jones
- Randy Knight
- Scott McCormick
- Mitzi Michaelson
- Myra Norman
- Susan Quesenberry
- Jerry Roberts
- Donna Scott
- Herb Troyer
- Jimmy Woods